Yay, there goes my first finished game! After one month of working on top of someone elses code, I can finally say I’ve got a game under my belt. Ok, it’s a puzzle game, not quite what I expected to be working on, but it’s a great feeling nonetheless. :)
This week, I started working on a race game. Again, some core functionality was already done, so for me it’s mainly tweaking the menu code (which isn’t all that fun since the existing code was writted with much less functionality in mind) and adding race tournament logic as well as savegame functionality and such.
On top of that, I’ve also made some progress with Tar!. I’ve taken on the level loading code this time, which means I can now load levels into the game – click here to see the first Tar! level ever… There’s no collision system yet, so it’s not like the player cares about the carefully placed walls, but hey, that’s next on my list. Then comes the entity parsing, for which I still have to find a proper solution, one that saves me from modifying the parsing code for every new entity I develop, but that’s still some time from now.
Happy holidays to all of you, I’m certainly enjoying mine! :)
It’s been almost three weeks ago that I started work at Triangle Studios. It’s my first experience in a real company and it’s going great so far. Tomorrow is the dead-line for our first game, and man do I hope I’ll make it on time. There’s several small items I still need to finish, and each item brings a certain ‘finishing overhead’ with itself. It’s that little question inside your head: “When can I call this finished?”. I did the credits screen today, and there’s various things I’d still like to add, but there’s just more important things to finish, like saving some high-scores to a database (recordstore as it’s called on a mobile phone).
This does mean I won’t be working on Tar as much as I hoped to, but I will try to get some more stuff working. The game logic structure is up and running and the rendering is partially operational, so with some work I should be able to get enough rendering functionality up. Then a basic collision system and that should give me plenty of room to test some game-code. Well, it all doesn’t have a too high priority anymore now that I got a game-programming job anyway, but it’s still fun to work on something in your free time. Let’s see how far this goes. :)