Last week I started with my final internship. It’s, again, at Triangle Studios. This time, there’s no mobile games to work on though, but Nintendo DS titles. I’m working on something pretty interesting, but for now that’s about as much as I can tell.
As for spare-time development, I plan to release AI Wars next week after some minor fix-ups. I’m then going to continue work on the surprize I mentioned last month. After that, I’ll either do another small project in-between or I’ll immediatly take up work on Aural Fighter.
The framework I’ve been building for Aural Fighter has been tweaked and refactored all the way through AI Wars, the surprize project and a few other prototypes. I recently streamlined the rendering system: animated sprites are now simply a matter of creating a single sprite sheet and writing an animation data text file, rather than creating multiple numbered files. At compile-time, this animation data is compiled into the .swf file. The sprite loading process then attaches that data to the loaded sprite. There are still a few things I’m working on, such as color remapping and fading filters, but the framework is steadily moving towards a point where creating new games doesn’t require me to add new functionality anymore. Which means I can focus more on the actual games and less on the technology behind them. Which is good.
Yay, there goes my first finished game! After one month of working on top of someone elses code, I can finally say I’ve got a game under my belt. Ok, it’s a puzzle game, not quite what I expected to be working on, but it’s a great feeling nonetheless. :)
This week, I started working on a race game. Again, some core functionality was already done, so for me it’s mainly tweaking the menu code (which isn’t all that fun since the existing code was writted with much less functionality in mind) and adding race tournament logic as well as savegame functionality and such.
On top of that, I’ve also made some progress with Tar!. I’ve taken on the level loading code this time, which means I can now load levels into the game – click here to see the first Tar! level ever… There’s no collision system yet, so it’s not like the player cares about the carefully placed walls, but hey, that’s next on my list. Then comes the entity parsing, for which I still have to find a proper solution, one that saves me from modifying the parsing code for every new entity I develop, but that’s still some time from now.
Happy holidays to all of you, I’m certainly enjoying mine! :)
It’s been almost three weeks ago that I started work at Triangle Studios. It’s my first experience in a real company and it’s going great so far. Tomorrow is the dead-line for our first game, and man do I hope I’ll make it on time. There’s several small items I still need to finish, and each item brings a certain ‘finishing overhead’ with itself. It’s that little question inside your head: “When can I call this finished?”. I did the credits screen today, and there’s various things I’d still like to add, but there’s just more important things to finish, like saving some high-scores to a database (recordstore as it’s called on a mobile phone).
This does mean I won’t be working on Tar as much as I hoped to, but I will try to get some more stuff working. The game logic structure is up and running and the rendering is partially operational, so with some work I should be able to get enough rendering functionality up. Then a basic collision system and that should give me plenty of room to test some game-code. Well, it all doesn’t have a too high priority anymore now that I got a game-programming job anyway, but it’s still fun to work on something in your free time. Let’s see how far this goes. :)